Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Interesting Class Speakers

Today has been a great week of class! On Monday night I have a class called, " Music Business Strategies". Our class was invited to Island Def Jam Records building to hear the VP of Promotions speak. Island Def Jam is a BIG record label, so it was exciting just to be able to go into that building! The VP basically talked about how his position works and kind of gave us an inside scoop on what kind of research needs to be done in order to get more radio play for the label's artists. It's funny to think about ALL the research that people do and ALL the effort put into just getting a song HEARD on the radio. It was also great because he spoke to us like we were his co-workers. I think every student will listen to a speaker if they treat in turn treat the students with respect. He also provided us with FREE pizza and cokes. An extra bonus :-)

On Tuesday night, we had another guest speaker. He also did some promotions work in the late 70's and told us about his experience with Bruce Springsteen, Pink Floyd, and other legendary acts. I think I kind of was in awe when he talked about " The Boss" as " Bruce". He also received a Christmas present from Pink Floyd one year...he was invited to fly to England and play on stage with them at a concert! How cool is that?! It was also to hear those stories about the music business back then and his experience. I also found it personally exciting because I am a huge classic rock fan. It turns out he is actually moving out from his office into a new space and he needed to get rid of 3 HUGE bins of Cd's...we hit the jackpot last night! I think I came home with about 10 new Cd's!

I also discovered where Felines Basement Bargains has been hiding in NYC....I will be visiting this weekend :)

No comments:

Post a Comment